1,65 billion passenger journeys are taken by train every year in the UK.
More than 5 billion bus passenger journeys take place every year in the UK.
Last year nearly 6 million people used ride shares to get around the UK.
Nearly 230 million passenger journeys are made every year by plane in the UK.
There are almost 30 Million of Brits taking trips by car every day, as a driver or passenger.
Around 100,000 people use travel comparison sites daily in the UK.
Over a million selfies are posted on social netwoks per day.
Around 4,000 pieces of luggage are lost daily in the UK.
Each month, more than 12 million people are searching for an accomodation on Airbnb in the UK.
Almost 20 million people per month are searching for hotels in the UK via Booking.
Travellers who think about comparing before buying their ticket
There were 37.6 million visits by overseas residents to the UK in 2016.
There were 70.8 million visits overseas by UK residents in 2016.
More than 180 million nights in hotels are being booked every year in the UK.
More than 51 million nights in camping grounds are being booked every year in the UK.
Fish and Chips
Brits eat more than 382 million portions of fish and chips per year.
Pints of beers
The UK guzzles more than 9 bn pints of beer per year. An impressive 140 pints per person per year!
Nearly 16 million business trips are made every year in the UK.
Over 95 million trips for leisure or VFR purposes take place every year in the UK.
Income from overseas visitors
Tourists from overseas spent £22.5 billion on visits to the UK in 2016.
The British Museum is the most visited attraction in the UK with 6,420,395 visitors in 2016.
In 2016, almost 6 million people visited the Tate Modern.
- Train passengers: data from the UK government - "Rail trends factsheet", https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/487497/rail-trends-factsheet-2015.pdf
- Bus passengers: data from the UK government, https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/bus-statistics
- Ride Sharing passengers: data from Statista, https://www.statista.com/outlook/368/156/ride-sharing/united-kingdom#market-revenue
- Flight passengers: stats from Eurostat, http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/tgm/table.do?tab=table&init=1&language=fr&pcode=ttr00012&plugin=1
- Travel comparison: data from Similarweb looking at the traffic of travel comparison websites in the UK, https://www.similarweb.com
- Selfies: data from TechInfographics, Samsung, Selfiecity Project, https://techinfographics.com/selfie-infographic-selfiegraphic-facts-and-statistics/
- Lost luggages: data from the SITA - "Society International Telecommunication Aeronautics", http://www.sita.aero/resources/type/surveys-reports/baggage-report-2016
- British Museum: stats shared by the Association of Leading Visitor Attractions (ALVA), http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/most-popular-attractions-in-britain-in-2016/
- Tate Modern: stats shared by the Association of Leading Visitor Attractions (ALVA), http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/most-popular-attractions-in-britain-in-2016/
- Airbnb searches: data from Similarweb, https://www.similarweb.com/website/airbnb.co.uk#overview
- Fish and Chips: Federation of Fish Friers, http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/facts-and-figures-603.htm
- Beer: data from Statista, https://www.statista.com/statistics/308931/beer-consumption-per-head-litres-united-kingdom-uk/
- Leisure trips: Tourism Alliance - UK tourism statistics 2016, http://www.tourismalliance.com/downloads/TA_390_415.pdf
- Business trips: Tourism Alliance - UK tourism statistics 2016, http://www.tourismalliance.com/downloads/TA_390_415.pdf
- Income from overseas visitors: Office for National Statistics - Travel Trends 2016, https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/articles/traveltrends/2016
- Inbound trips: Office for National Statistics - Travel Trends 2016, https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/articles/traveltrends/2016
- Outbound trips: Office for National Statistics - Travel Trends 2016, https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/articles/traveltrends/2016
- Campsites booked: stats from Eurostat, http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/images/a/a3/Nights_spent_in_tourist_accommodation_establishments%2C_2015-T1.png
- Hotels booked: stats from Eurostat, http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/images/a/a3/Nights_spent_in_tourist_accommodation_establishments%2C_2015-T1.png
- Credits: We have been inspired by the infographic "Retail in Real-Time" to create this Travelboard.